Saturday, December 6, 2014

Five

Jasmine turned five yesterday.

How do you know when your kid is five? That's the question I put up in the Facebook on my daughter's birthday.

What's so eerie about this question is that I don't quite know how to answer it.

Many parents have trouble with telling how five-year-olds should be different from those below five - some kids, too. I have no problem with the grey zone. What's wrong, I believe, is to prescribe the milestones and be obsessed with the yardstick.

What could be luckier for a five-year-old than to make the strides at one's own pace? I went to my daughter's school on her birthday, and found all those different traits. Some kids are mastering the monkey bar skills at a level that is supposed to be attained by gorillas. A few of them are even more skillful than great apes.

So what? We're not supposed to compare children to each other. And not even to our closest evolutionary cousin.

No comments: