Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Medley

With so many destinations, choosing which to visit during my daughter's summer holiday can be tough. When you hear about wild explorer's opening an atlas randomly for the choice, this might not sound rational. But it should. There are many theories. The simplest explanation is probably this: it feels good. Plus, it doesn't cause any major harm.

Few months ago, I happened to see the Lonely Planet's Central Australia in the public library new collection. I checked out the travel guidebook and started to plan our trip. As I sat down and invited my friend to go, I was told that his family had already planned to visit Singapore. Translation: my plan didn't work out.

Like most – maybe all – travel plans, mine worked out by itself. "Wouldn't it be so much easier if we visit Singapore together? Then we can fly directly into Darwin Airport; there isn't direct flight from our town to Darwin." We ended up fixing a medley of itineraries, including my friend's family, and that of his brothers, dad and mum, all the way to Singapore Zoo, Legoland in Malaysia, and our two families' last stop in Darwin, Litchfield National Park, followed by World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park.   

I didn't say it is logical, I said it happens. And it works.

 

No comments: