Tuesday, December 31, 2013

List

It's customary, at the end of the year, to rate the top stories in the news. It's the time of the year when everyone looks back.

Time whizzes by really quick, and I didn't write too many blog entries this year. Now I count awash in shame. I didn't say it was logical, I said it happens. It's easier to invent reason not to write than come up with a topic to write - that I know.

But.

But there are good things about this year. I read as many as before, and perhaps more. Looking back, I can think of brilliant books that I'd read this year. Here are 10 great choices that I happened to pick this year.

Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel

 The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English by Roy Peter Clark

Could Do Better!: Help Your Kid Shine At School by Phil Beadle

Making to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die by Chip Heath and Dan Heath

The (Honest) Truth About Dishonesty by Dan Ariely

The Book of Dads: Essays on the Joys, Perils, and Humiliations of Fatherhood by Ben George

Case Histories: a Novel by Kate Atkinson

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Wait. Not all books are new and the last one that keeps me turning the pages at the end of this year is Ian McEwan's The Child in Time.

No comments: