Saturday, October 13, 2012

Fellowship

The president of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh is visiting Hong Kong, and we are invited to attend the signing ceremony (after being accepted the fellowship status). I accepted the invitation with alacrity. With this feather in the cap, we feel we're reaching another milestone in our career. If you're a fan of titles - and who isn't? - you'll love the opportunity to have another string of alphabets at your name card.

At first I thought the ceremony would be awesome. Then, as the weeks pass, I begin to regret my reply to join the ceremony, envisioning missing another chance to read bedtime story to my daughter. What kid doesn't like bedtime story? Especially if the cartoon characters are amiable, the tone tranquil and the plot clever. There are good reasons for me to regret: I borrowed the classic picture book Good Night, Gorilla from the library two days ago. This bedtime book by Peggy Rathmann, I was told, is a great read you won't mind reading to your kids a million times. I still haven't had chance to show Jasmine how beautiful this book is.

Chances are, if you ask me, my daughter will be far more proud of a daddy who reads the funny story about gorilla, armadillo and zookeeper than a father who is a fellow from the Royal College.

No comments: