Friday, July 20, 2012

Recess

Remember the good old days – you know, at school? I didn't go back to school but went to Berlin this week. I was there attending a medical conference on transplantation. Going to medical conference has a lot in common with sitting in classroom. There is plenty to learn in a day when the conference starts every morning at seven sharp. I learnt everything from a minuscule virus to ethics.

Trouble is, I get sleepy sooner than any schooler. My eyes fixed on the projector screen, where all the letters morphed into the alphabet z. Shoulders sagged, eyelids fell, and all my internal circuit went into hibernating mode. If ever there is a sleepiness illness, it's synonymous with getting old.

Yes, it's true. If you're like me, fear not. I'm getting old – I know that – but without getting too stubborn. I learn new tricks. Here is how.

Skip class. While it might seem naughty to skip class, I did enjoy the freedom of go-as-you-like in medical conference. Throughout this week in Berlin, I took one-hour break every afternoon. Bring the camera and jump on a train. I wasn't disappointed. A 5-minute ride from the conference centre lies a picturesque French-style Baroque garden around a legendary palace. A brief walk brought my energy back. Soon, I found myself refreshed and young again at the conference centre.    

No comments: