Friday, May 11, 2012

Heart

I was asked to examine the first-year medical students yesterday.

The way simulation driving test gives novices an idea what driving is like, medical school examination teaches students how to behave like a real doctor. I handed out a detailed description that would begin something like this: "A 45-year-old man with the chief complaint of chest pain over several works came for clinic assessment. He worried about a heart attack. Please examine his heart and demonstrate to the examiner where you place the stethoscope to listen to his heart sounds." Heart sounds, by the way, are produced when blood is being pumped through different heart valves.

Unfazed and without losing a beat, the students meticulously showed me where they located the landmark to listen to the heart sounds. That said, I concede that, it isn't really what a real doctor like me usually do in flesh-and-blood patients. Rather, we make a cursory examination and back up with tests like x-rays and echocardiography. Unsettling as it is, it may be hard to resist the temptation to read the x-ray and ECG before listening to our patient's heart, and not the other way round. My daughter has been fascinated by the stethoscope and she often takes mine to listen to the heart sounds. Believe me, she spent more time with the stethoscope on the chest than I did on my patient.

Which brings me, somewhat uncomfortably, to my recent encounter with an elderly woman in the hospital. Her blood test showed that the body didn't do well to seal off any bleeding in case a blood vessel is injured. I dutifully followed the logic I learned in the medical school, and came up with the conclusion that the patient's liver was not doing well. I turned to the page of liver function test to find out the abnormal figure, which indeed it was. "Her liver is enlarged," I told my resident after pressing on that patient's tummy. We went on to see the next patient after making sure an ultrasound scan of the liver has been requested.

After the weekend, my resident told me the ultrasound scan result. The patient's liver appeared large because it was engorged with blood. Another doctor listened to the elderly woman's heart and then a cardiologist asked for an echocardiography. It turned out that the patient's heart was failing because the blood could not be pumped out through the left ventricle into the aorta, thus filling up the liver. Neat answer - to which I'm afraid I didn't think of. I kicked myself, but it's too late. My shoulder sagged, face fell, and heart sank. It would have made a heck of a difference if I had listened to the patient's heart - and it only takes a few minutes. 

No comments: