Sunday, January 15, 2012

Transmogrified

Everyone wore business attire (suit with neck tie for male colleagues, tailored trousers or skirt for females) when the team took photo with our hospital chief executive this Friday - it's just that a handful of us were wearing shirt and white coat. I meekly hid in the back when I found that my white coat didn't blend in with all those dark business suits.

It's not the first time that I feel that the dressing code means an entry ticket to a certain position. I still remember vividly my student days, when I started the pilgrimage to the medical ward wearing the white coat, with stethoscope hanging round the neck, to justify my presence. I tried to look as though I could behave as a doctor, talk in a professional parlance - or at least to blend in a bit more.

Now, in a matter of years, I am wearing white coat not to justify myself being a doctor, but to keep myself from becoming an administrator. I wear the white coat to keep me from the exit.

No comments: