Monday, October 10, 2011

Reflection

Don't you find that you learn more about yourself when you learn to weather the changes with your baby? That happened with my recent reading of What to Expect: the Toddler Years.

Heidi Murkoff tells the story of a toddler who gets upset whenever the cracker has a piece broken off. Even a crack in the cracker can set off tirades. By listening to the quizzical compulsiveness about an intact cracker or biscuit, I thought I'm lucky to have my easygoing daughter. But wait a minute: isn't that desire for perfection (or at least, the perception of it) the same as mine? Though I have tried not to delete any less-than-perfect photograph from my digital camera after pressing the shutter, I cannot.

The next story is about a toddler who resists to any change - a new car seat, a new order in the bedtime routine, a new glasses on the mother. Whilst some toddlers just can't tolerate any changes, most kids as I know it, my daughter included, are at least less rigid. Before I congratulated myself for having a daughter who doesn't insist on the status quo, I felt an uneasy idea welling up inside me. No, that story isn't about my daughter; it's talking about me. I'm the one who craves ritual. While having ritualistic behaviour is age-appropriate for a toddler, I wonder if having precisely the same kind of muffin for lunch, during my whole year of overseas training, for instance, is a bit too inflexible. Just a bit.

No comments: