Friday, December 17, 2010

Farewell

"Will you still go to our departmental Xmas party?" It was the shaky voice of my colleague after attending the funeral service of my respectable patient last night.

I said yes. It wasn't that I did not shiver after temperature plunged from 20 degrees Celsius to five degrees. I did. No, the uneasy feeling of transit from a memorial service to a social event with party theme is difficult to shake off. And, I didn't miss the party that much. Going to say goodbye to my patient is even more meaningful. After looking after my patient for few months, I had never realized how awe-inspiring he was – not until I heard the obituary read by his daughter. It's really hard to say that I looked after him when I found out I knew so little about my patient before.

Actually, I'm going to say that I started to love my patient since last night.

No comments: