Thursday, March 25, 2010

Sickness

When it comes to sickness, nothing comes close to the severity of a sick baby.

Mention that to parents, everyone invariably remembers the first time one's child got sick. I wasn't that impressed with the chapter on "When Baby is Sick" when I first read What to Expect the First Year. I managed to read that chapter again today; I fetched the book whilst packing the bag in a hurry to bring my febrile princess to the hospital last night. (What else could I smuggle when there was a full truckload of worries?) Though I had never called sick when I fell into pieces, I stayed with my baby this time and requested an urgent leave today.

I learned a lot from this reading. Perhaps I wasn't paying attention because I didn't need the book to teach me the ropes to manage a daughter running a temperature of 39.4 degrees. That bit, yes, I know. Believe it or not, the most difficult bit is how to be parents of a sick baby. How strange! Now I understand what the authors meant by "An infant's illness, even a mild one, usually hits mummy and daddy harder than it does baby."

2 comments:

Edmond Chow said...

Hope Jasmine feel better soon.

f2b said...

I know how you feel. You wish you were the one that get sick instead of your child. Parents always worry ... I thought people in the medical field can handle better, apparently not. The parenthood bonding is too strong. That is probably the reason that doctors do not treat their family members or close friends as emotion get in the way.

Jasmine, what a beautiful name. Hope she feel better soon.