Saturday, November 14, 2009

Team

When Stephen M.R. Covey told the story of a business student sitting her final examination, the punch line was the last question of that business degree exam: "What is the name of the person who cleans your dorm?"

What a question! This sort of question made the student want to pull her hair out. Crestfallen, she asked the professor if the question really counted on their final grade. "Indeed it does!" he replied. "A good leader takes nothing for granted and recognizes the contributions made by everyone on the team."

Obviously I am not a leader. Yet, I'm lucky to have someone clean my house. With my baby on the way to landing, we hire a domestic maid. The hardest rite of passage to go through before our maid's arrival is how to live with a newcomer. Well, adults and kids have a common affliction: stranger anxiety. I worried and moaned.

I used the past tense in the last sentence because my maid has arrived and we're having a good time living under the same roof. Several friends of mine sent me their recipes. No, they aren't talking about the recipes for cooking, but the rules to lay down for the domestic maids. An example of the rules is "to pay more attention to taking care of the baby rather than preparing the meal." That sounds reasonable to me. Next the rule states that "No kissing baby." Is there not something amiss when a maid must love our baby but not kiss her? We can only say, "It doesn't work for us."

Our baby hasn't arrived. We don't make particular rules in black and white, but seem to be doing well. She cooks dinner for us, and we treated her to a good seafood dinner at Sai Kung. My friends are stupefied to learn that we're even sharing the laptop (and broadband access) with the maid. But surely the time has come to ask: Why not?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

some of your friends will comment that you do not know how to "utilize your maid" and "you spoil your maid"

Someone said I treated my maid too well that I allowed her to use my bathroom and had dinner with her in a Thai restaurant on the first day when she arrived at my home. But I think it is a basic right of an employee, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

subsitute "maid" with "HO"

Edmond Chow said...

It is wonderful that we can live with mutual respect and trust.

Sharing bathroom, and treating maid as part of family is great.

However, sharing computer is dangerous. Not that I don't trust the maid's integrity, instead I just don't trust her ability in computer security.
It is for the same reason that I won't trust my son to use my computer without supervision.

Unknown said...

Not until I had Ethan come to my life 8 years ago, that I really understood the meaning of "the fall of Adam and Eve in the garden of Eden that God made for them". I think human are born to be a sinner and like to push the limit and take advantage of others.
My own biological born son who have all our GOOD genes :-) is in no exception.
I believe in respect and mutual benefit. But also believe in setting limit and giving clear instruction for what is forbidden and what is allowed.
Anyway, so happy to hear that you and your maid get along so well.
I agree with your friends that human can be spoiled. I am sure, you and your wife are so smart that you won't spoil your maid or your future baby.

f2b said...

You get what you paid for, not just literally in monetary terms. Same go for respect and kindness.

Unknown said...

I believe in paying mutual respect and giving trust to a maid. Not only to maids, but also to every person, no matter how minor they are.