Sunday, August 30, 2009

Forgetful

I was reading a short medical review about memory problems in older people. There are, I suppose, good tips for doctors who often come across patients with memory loss.

The article teaches us to ask if the forgetful patient is paying his bills. Does he forget his way and get lost? A quick assessment of the severity of cognitive impairment, I was told, should include orientation to place, recall of three items and general knowledge such as news headlines. And something like that.

"Oops, are they talking about me?" I read with trepidation as I went over the list of questions. "It certainly has happened to me recently." A week ago, I found an insurance payment notice in my bag and simply couldn't remember if I had settled the bill. And then, I lost my way when I traveled on the train to Tsim Sha Tsui. Alas, I forgot the news of opening new rail line. By the time I realized my failing to change train at the new interchange station, I had been sent back on the same train – all the way to my place of departure.

I was in for yet another surprise when I quickly finished that wonderful checklist. If the doctor has the chance to see his patient in his own house, they said, it’s worth looking at the state of his fridge – is it empty or full of decaying food? "Good gracious! How on earth do they know everything about my fridge?" I was dumbfounded. Before the arrival of my baby I took efforts to clean up my home last weekend. And, ah - I found, inside my fridge, zillions of foodstuff already expired.

No comments: