Thursday, July 16, 2009

Novice

If there is any similarity between novice medical interns and new parents, chances are that they all make lots of mistakes.

There is so much we don't know about when we become new parents. The same is true for new interns. Of course, they must learn their trade on the job.

As a father-to-be, I haven't the foggiest idea what a parent's life would be. Then I sit back and pat myself, trying to learn the dos and don’ts from the parents' bible, What to Expect: The First Year.

Which brings me to one of the lessons I learned as a medical intern: the way to become a doctor could never have been learned during my medical student's days of reading.

6 comments:

Edmond Chow said...

I am sure that you guys will be great parents. I am surprised that you will need to read "What to expect: The First Year." I thought the book is mostly medical related, since both of you are medical doctors, you should know all those stuff already.

Unknown said...

congratulations KM ^^

hyfan said...

Congrats!

We all do make mistakes. No matter how well we know, there are always mistakes to catch us unprepared. So on top of avoiding pitfalls 'damage control' is also as important (if not more).

f2b said...

Congrat! Parenthood is filled with Joy and hard work. Although my wife always said she did all the hard work, which is kind of true. She said she can count the number of diapers I changed by fingers. Of course, I challenge that, it should be fingers plus toes:)

JW said...

Welcome on board (as a slave)!

Unknown said...

Just learnt that you're going to be a father. Congradulations!!!

In my mind you're already a great father. You've raised so many interns (me included) and I bet you'll do a great job in raising your own child too.