Thursday, July 10, 2008

Skating

As the saying goes, you can't teach an old dog new tricks. While there may be a grain of truth in this, I am inclined to think the opposite. Whatever your age, taking time off to do something different can be one of the best times of your life.

I decided to learn ice skating this year. The other day, I went to the ice skating rink after work and asked about lessons that fit my schedule. The receptionist at the counter smiled, apparently having already figured out my mind. "Yes, we have skating class for beginners," she replied. "May I ask how old your kid is?"

Denying adults (ahem, like me) the right to learn skating simply because they have a lot of candles on their birthday cakes reeks of ageism. When my friend heard of my joining a beginner skating class for the first time last night, he almost laughed his head off. Oh no, not any more. There is no question that old dog cannot learn new tricks. It can't. And you can't. You can't teach an old dog. Don't worry. I can simply learn to stop calling myself an old dog.

Problem solved. Case closed.

No comments: