Monday, May 26, 2008

Prime Minister

The dreams that I made over the last few days have been overwhelmingly trembling. You didn't believe me? I didn't think you would.

Anyhow, I went to meet the Prime Minister and got a chance to speak to him, in my dream of course. We spoke about the seismology and pre-detection of earthquake. Needless to say, this is a controversial subject. "Isn't it better to keep track of warning sign than knowing nothing at all, Prime Minister?" I suggested.

"Impossible," the Prime Minister stared at me and asserted. "Out of the question."

"Why not?" I remained earnest. "We cannot predict earthquake but it would not be unreasonable to pick up the advance warning, akin to detecting the rise in hepatitis B virus DNA titre before the active inflammation that strikes at the liver. Nowadays, we have the means to detect scientifically the nondestructive primary waves, which travel more quickly through the earth's crust than do the destructive secondary waves."

"No one in their right mind could contemplate such a stupid proposal," he replied without a moment's hesitation. "You don’t even know what you are detecting."

I tried to assure the Prime Minister that early detection of the sign that heralds a shake will help us to plan ahead, such as arranging quake-proof accommodation and advice people to seek a safer place that can withstand tremors….

"No." The Prime Minister stopped me there. "That would be too much a commitment. Think of the money involved."

"Money," I gasped, horror-struck, "that should not become an excuse for lowering the standard…"

"Nonsense!" The Prime Minister admonished me. "None of your bloody business. KM. Don't teach me how to spend the money."

"Yes Prime Minister." I said humbly. With that, I woke up from the nightmare with my lips quivering.

I am still wondering if this dream comes out of my recent bedtime reading Yes Prime Minister, or out of my real life encounter with the Prime Minister.

No comments: