Sunday, February 10, 2008

Overcoat

The moment I prepared packing my gears for the Sapporo winter trip tomorrow, I started to worry about the performance of my digital camera in the wake of plummeting mercury and snowy freezing weather.

I must admit I just don't know if I need to go back to my manual Nikon FM2 camera, an old-styled but robust camera that works without batteries. Ever since the user-friendly digital camera gaining popularity, most of the manual cameras (including mine) have been locked up in oblivion. But wait a minute, I start to think about their values.

I bring all this up because of my recent encounter with the use of conventional unfractionated heparin in hospital. This anti-clogging drug, so-called unfractionated heparin that had been the standard for many years, is no longer the recommended first choice ever since the newer low-molecular weight heparin (with its ease of administration and better safety profile) has come to the market. When a lady with prosthetic heart valve required the administration of long-forgotten unfractionated heparin in my hospital last week, alas, the situation ended up in a hopeless mess. Most of us cannot, even if we want to, remember the proper way to use unfractionated heparin anymore.

All these old-fashioned gagdets are simply like ill-fitting overcoats – too awkward to parade but too warm to discard. It is only the frigid temperature that brings us to rethink their values.

2 comments:

natalie said...

Km, the digital camera would be OK in sapporo but remember to bring extra battery or keep it with a warm bag when u are not shooting picture. of course, your FM2 should be a very safe backup. enjoy your trip and bring us good pictures. Natalie

Anonymous said...

雞肋,雞助,,食之無味,,棄之可惜。人總是對舊事,舊物,舊情,糾纏於「食無味,棄可惜」的矛盾旋渦。現代人要與時並進,要開懷地迎接未來,要豁達地忘記歷史。我們也曾經遺棄過故舊的,果敢而暢快地放棄。但請在舒泰的心情下,給牠、它、他或她一個隆而重之的道別,好讓它不致有感被鄙棄,令它能夠含笑而終。回首過往,它也曾與我們同步過冬。
Yvonne