The Anxious Generation by Jonathan Haidt and 10 Rules for Raising Kids in a High-Tech World by Jean M Twenge are books for parents who freak out over electronic devices and social media.
Things are different for our family. Now that my daughter is over 16, the need for parental control of device and bedtime rule is of less concern. Reading about self-control has become teachable moments for myself instead.
I'll admit it: I'm actually the one in the family who screws up mostly. If you haven't heard about the word phubbing, it's a combination of phone and snubbing. If you charge me a dollar every time you catch me phubbing with my wife – and fifty cents for taking out my phone during family dinner – I would have to remortgage my house to cover the cost or go broke.
I feel dumb that I haven't behaved properly with the device myself. I do now.
No comments:
Post a Comment