There is a book Clinical Neurology written by someone called Russell Brain? Seriously. There is one, and people call it Brain's Clinical Neurology.
I heard about this book when I read The Names, a New York Times best-selling debut novel by Florence Knapp. The novel has three storylines, each of which depends on how a mother names her son: Bear, Julian, and Gordon.
The idea that people gravitate toward areas of work that match their name is known as nominative determinism or aptronym. Think about Usain Bolt, and you know what I mean. Or Amy Lloyd, a neuroscientist who studied amyloid plaques associated with Alzheimer's disease. Another example is an article about incontinence in the British Journal of Urology written by A.J. Splatt and D. Weedon.
I have to put my hands up here and say that name can sometimes predict destiny. Call me KM and remember the runner.
No comments:
Post a Comment