Sunday, September 8, 2024

Xiamen

Deciding between running and photography in a foreign city is never easy for me. In fact, I love both, and passionately believe that either activity is the logical choice during good weather.

Before I visited Xiamen this week, I grabbed a Lonely Planet guide to learn more about the city. This seaside city is the crown jewel of Fujian province. One of the highlights is the prestigious Xiamen International Marathon held annually along the coast offering breathtaking views. With its Elite Platinum Label rating by World Athletics, the route has become known as one of the most scenic and most sought-after marathon courses. 

That appears to be an attractive route for me to build more mileage. Well, sure, but that doesn't fit with my tight conference schedule – which is why I could at most run around my hotel for less than an hour. To make sure I can hit the mark with ample time to dry my sweaty running socks and clothes, I knew it would be wise not to run on the day of departure. 

Running on the pavements, on the other hand, can be a challenge. Much of this has to do with tackling the traffic, or for that matter, traffic lights. As I ran randomly outside my hotel this morning, I found a perfect trail stretching 23 kilometres, with most of the path on a bridge. That means I could run easily on a signposted foot bridge. As designed by Danish architecture firm Dissing+Weitling, the elevated track has been blessed with lookout platforms, fitness stations and restrooms alongside. Forget the gym treadmill – there’s enough here to keep a runner entertained for as long as one wishes.

No comments: